Thursday 24 September 2009

A Mixed Bunch

Paper Weaving -Scandinavian Heart

Completing last week's selection of challenges on Stamptv was the Potluck Friday challenge.The instructions were to make a card using some form of paper weaving on the layout. Some time ago I saw something called a Scandinavian Heart made by weaving and so decided to base my card around this. I started off with two co-ordinating papers, just like a tag in shape, and when you weave them together you form a heart shape. The weaving itself wasn't difficult, the problem was choosing colours to stand out. I had originally planned to make a baby card with gingham papers but it just didn't work out. Anyhow here's what I came up with. The jury's still out.
Stamptvpf30

I added some bling to the flower heads but I think the heart itself still needs something. I might come back to it later. Feel free to make a suggestion.
STAMP: GKD -Thanks a Million(Signs of Autumn Kit)
PAPER: Green Patterned - Sizzix: Plain Pink stamped with Autumn Beauty vine.

A New Week
The other week I won a stamp set in a Stamptv challenge and I chose Theresa Momber's 'Autumn Beauty' set.
I know these may be geared towards 'Thanksgiving' but I plan to use them with Harvest in mind. Anyway with a scarecrow and an American mailbox in the set it made the choice easier. Just right for the stamptvcc30 challenge. The selected colours were orange, yellow and green to represent harvest.
I also bought my first Copic markers. There are some good tutorials for colouring with Copics but I find the theory is easier than the practical. Still I'll keep trying. A friend, Mandy, who used to have a craft shop was terrific at colouring with any medium and extremely helpful and patient. I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention whenever she was demonstrating Copics. However Theresa gives step-by-step tuition on her website for her cards and I'm trying to take that on board. As you will see from my card I started small.

STVCC30


You might wonder why I uploaded two images of the same card but if you look closely there is a slight difference. I had stamped the mailbox on to glossy card just to play around and coloured the flower heads pink. When I decided to use the image on the card I thought it looked a little bit off and so went for a more autumnal colour. I just went over the pink with a different coloured Copic.
By the way the buttons are actually green although they look blue in the photo.

STAMPS: GKD - Thanks a Million (Signs of Autumn Kit) , Autumn Beauty
INKS: Ranger- Archival Black, Brown; Copics; Marvy Blending Blox -Shades of Olive
CARD & PAPER: GKD - Signs of Autumn Kit


Broken Window

The technique challenge was a 'cracked glass' look achieved by using ultra thick embossing powder. You can find the tutorial here. The hardest part was getting a good print in white ink. I actually went over the impression with a white pen.

STVTC31
I bought this stamp at the craft show in Glasgow two years ago and this is the first card made. It seemed a good choice for this challenge. It's was only mounted on EZ Mount (no wood,) and in a small clear plastic bag (no label) so I have no idea who made it. Claire Brennan posted a 'cracked glass' card the other night that's worth looking at. You should also check out her homespun Christmas decorations.

STAMP: unknown; Sentiment - Hero Arts
PAPER: DCWV

Home is where....

STVSC30




These stamps are from a set called 'Primitive Beginnings' from Cornish Heritage Farms (CHF). I stamped and coloured the main image with the intention of using it for my technique challenge but then decided to use it for the sketch. I love the folk arty style of this set. Really need to do a lot more with it. The background paper has a delicate blue on yellow pattern but you can't really see it in this photo.

STAMPS: CHF - Primitive Beginnings
INKS: Ranger Archival Black; Marvy Watercolour Pens
PUNCH: MS - Arch Lattice
CARD /PAPER: Anna Griffin


Anyhow that's the posting for now. It really is easier if you do it more regularly but the week just seemed to disappear. Ironing is next and then a lot of preparation for Sunday School craft. Then I have some new stamps I want to try out.


ShabbyBlogsDividerD
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Clabby said...

Love the autumnal one. I actually think your cracked glass is nicer than Claire Brennan's